Friday 31 October 2014

Hallowe'en in Saskatchewan 2014

Hallowe'en in Saskatchewan 2014

Hallowe'en hasn't really changed much in the last 50 years or so.  I'm sitting here with my bowl full of miniature chocolate bars and case of mini Pringle chips ready to go.  I'm waiting for the first kids to ring my doorbell.  It's before supper, so generally I'm expecting the littlest people to arrive first because their bedtime isn't too far away.  The bigger ones show up after dark, and one of the better changes is there isn't nearly as much 'tricking' as there once was.  In fact, toilet tipping used to be an all time favorite, but outdoor toilets are pretty much a thing of the past.  Graffiti had it's day not that long ago, but once again, that comes and goes.

When I was a kid, because we lived in the country we could choose from either the town or the farm area or both.  If we got to drive around in town, the pickings although good tended to be a little slimmer than in the country.  I remember one place that only gave a half of one double-bubble....they must have had too many kids or were very poor.  When we drove around the farming community, it was so much different!  We would get whole brown, lunch bags full of goodies at each farm.  In those days you could get these trememdous popcorn balls...man they were the best.  You might get cookies, or apples, and all kinds of delicious candy.  Unfortunately, some kind of idiots started to put sharp objects like razor blades in apples, so those home-made items have all but gone by the wayside.  People do some weird things for no good reason it seems.

I wanted to share with you some of the trick or treaters I had at my door tonight.  They all consented to having their picture taken and even for me to share it on my blog.  Thanks everyone.

TV show characters....I think



Mario and Luigi aka my grandsons :-)   The littler the kid, the littler the snack container.



I don't know...hmmm...some junk food, ketchup (with the matching red Canadian mitt and red bag) and orange M&M, the guy in white looks like snow with skid marks across!



Cute little princess and her mama the skunk.....Incidentally, the skunk was probably the best costume I saw tonight!



Hockey players, painter or drywaller, Sherlock Holmes and sorry guy in the front....I think you're some kind of Star Wars person perhaps!


We possibly have a business man, a cat woman, a convict, Anne of Green Gables,  or maybe Annie.... a possible skiier, a possible Ninja, sorry guy in the front.....I just don't remember, but I see you have a pillowcase slung over your shoulder that's getting pretty full!



and finally, two of the cutest little girls....the one in the green wig could barely stop eating her potato chips long enough to have her picture taken.....By the direction her wig  was perched, it looked like she'd had a rough night already!



I didn't get everybody's picture, but that's okay....it was a fun night!

Happy Hallowe'en!

No comments: